Google Play Store on Android Emulator

August 31

Most of you must have noticed that the Google Play Store is not available in the Android Emulator. But having Play store on the emulator would be very handy when you want to access different applications and test them. So here are the steps to add Google Play Store to your android emulator.

1. Download the 3 files  – GoogleLoginService.apk, GoogleServicesFramework.apk and Vending.apk.
  2. Launch your emulator.
  3. Remount the adb.
  4. Change the permission of file /system/app to read, write and execute (777).
  5. Push the files GoogleLoginService.apk, GoogleServicesFramework.apk and Vending.apk to /system/app location.
  6. Remove the directory /system/app/SdkSetup.*

If the above steps are properly done, play store will appear on your emulator. Give your Google account credentials to sign in and then it would ask about Google +, Back-up and restore options. After that it would show the below screen and click continue and you are done! Here is a screenshot for your reference that play store works on emulator.

With this you are done! Now you can download and run any application directly on the emulator. PlayWorking

Posted by on August 31, 2013 in Android

Tags: , ,

39 responses to “Google Play Store on Android Emulator

1. isabelle

August 31, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Nice information, thank you !
    Can you tell us which emulator are you refering to please ?

• rohit

September 1, 2013 at 2:39 pm

@isabelle: To my knowledge this would work with most of the emulator models .. let me know if you are facing any issue with respect to any particular model

• ShadowTech

February 9, 2014 at 2:36 pm

@isabelle it works on all the emulators and this will only work on ICS i dont if it works on 4.1.2 but i try it on 4.3 and it didnt work on the adb push it saids out of memory and on 4.4 it gets stuck when u do adb shell mount -o blah blah blah

2. shyamkumar

August 31, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I tried all the steps, but I dint get Google play services on emulator.
    I dint even get any error, so a bit confused..Is there any thing to be done after pushing the apps ??
    Will the google play service start Just by pushing these files onto system/app ??

• rohit

September 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Hi shyam,

If you are getting the same output in the cmd prompt as shown in the first screenshot then, the playstore application should automatically appear.. try restarting it if you don’t find..

• shyamkumar

September 3, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Yes I am getting the same output as in the screenshot…
        I even tried changing permission from read/write to read only for /system but no luck.
        but when I restarted my emulator the files which i pushed are deleted..

• rohit

September 21, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Hi Shyam,

Sorry for the late reply but you should be able to get it.. Just try using an emulator with API 15 in case you are using a different one.

• Boulu1

March 9, 2014 at 12:26 am

i have exatly the same of you butnothing has changed for me

3. Schef

September 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Thx for the writeup. What api level was your emulator?

• rohit

September 21, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I believe its API 15…

4. babu

October 12, 2013 at 1:16 pm

where can i get those three apk files….here those files are not downloading..

• satishb3

October 13, 2013 at 6:36 am

I’ve fixed the links. They are working now. Thank you.

5. B

December 14, 2013 at 6:41 am

Nice, is it possible for you to create a youtube video using ubuntu?

6. Derek

December 15, 2013 at 7:32 am

I’ve tried doing this about 10 times now and the google play icon does not show up. One time how ever it automatically sent me to a google play window where I could sign in but during sign in it exited and i couldn’t get back to it. I’ve never really used android before. I’ve tried it on android api 14 and google api 14. I get the same read outs every time and no error screens. I’ve also tried 4 different devices. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

• Derek

December 15, 2013 at 8:08 am

I think I found the problem, when I try to rather ‘install’ than ‘push’ I get the error message when attempting to install googleservicesframework.apk, it says.

The other two files however work.

• rohit

December 15, 2013 at 9:07 am

Hi Derek,

The above error conveys that the Android SDK which you are using is older than the one required to compile this application. Can you try with API 15 and see if it works? I have updated my above comments with API 15.

7. Amin

January 20, 2014 at 8:04 pm

It still work…!!!
    I just try it on API 18.

There’s one important point for make it success, you must push GoogleLoginServices.apk, GoogleServicesFramework.apk, and Vending.apk with compatible API..

Thats three apk can found at googleApps package for each API version…
    You can download package for ur API here

• Chris

January 24, 2014 at 4:40 am

How do you know which build of of a particular version to get? there are a couple for jb, ics, etc..

Also, I noticed there is not vending apk in any of them. I managed to search the site you provided and only found one vending.apk.

• rohit

February 10, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I have used Android 4.0.3 for this demo. It worked without any problems.

8. Chris

January 24, 2014 at 4:42 am

Which emulator were you running in this tutorial?

9. vrish

February 8, 2014 at 9:46 pm

i am getting message “access denied” at very begining in command prompt……………….what to do?

10. ShadowTech

February 9, 2014 at 11:08 am

where is the android-sdk-windows on yours i need it

11. ShadowTech

February 9, 2014 at 11:38 am

and now i know it its on C drive and i got permission denied help

• Gokul Karthik

February 24, 2015 at 2:27 pm

How to solve that permission denied

12. ShadowTech

February 9, 2014 at 1:36 pm

and now it works and now if i type the adb shell mount blah blah blah i got stuck and when i close the android it will uncontinue

13. ShadowTech

February 9, 2014 at 1:52 pm

it works on 4.3 but im stuck to the push and im still need to check it if it success

14. ShadowTech

February 9, 2014 at 1:54 pm

and now it saids out of memory

15. ShadowTech

February 9, 2014 at 3:06 pm

but theres a problem which is it crash on the preparing section and then the play store has loss again

16. Boulu1

March 8, 2014 at 10:30 pm

When I write “adb.exe push GoogleLoginService.apk /system/app/”, I have “failed to copy ‘C:\Users\Boulu\Downloads\GoogleLoginService.apk’ to ‘/system/app//GoogleLoginService.apk’: No space left on device”

• rohit

March 17, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Hi Boulu,

Just check if the emulator is created with enough memory or not

17. Chirag - 712

March 17, 2014 at 6:59 am

Market icon is created – but it fails to launch “Unfotunately market has stopped”

18. Venkat

May 27, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Hi, I am getting below error…

mount: read-only file system

Please help me. (I’m using google avd emulator)

• satishb3

May 27, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I guess you are trying it on Android 4.4, in that case sdcard is mounted readonly. You can make it writable with the below commands –
      > adb shell
      > root@generic:/ # su
      > root@generic:/ # mount -o rw,remount rootfs /
      > root@generic:/ # chmod 777 /mnt/sdcard/

Later, you can try the commands mentioned in the blog post. It might work.

19. Onur Taskin

June 29, 2014 at 5:31 am

Nice Article! But there are few things that may confuse some people here.

In your instructions above you link to Vending.apk (also use it on your screenshot) but in your Video you use Phonesky.apk instead. So if people follow your instructions they can pass everything but the google play app do not appear at the end.

This works for me:
    Emulator Settings:
    Android 4.0.3 (API 15)
    ARM (armiabi-v7a)

1. Download GoogleLoginService.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk from the link above
    2. Download Phonesky.apk from here:
    3. Follow instructions in the video above

• satishb3

June 29, 2014 at 11:31 am

We will try to fix it. Thank you.

20. Pandian

February 8, 2015 at 7:02 pm

21. karun

January 31, 2016 at 4:14 am

Can u tell me how to install playstore in windroy

22. karun

January 31, 2016 at 4:15 am

Can u tell me how to install playstore in windroy
    And also in AMI DuOS

23. Mar

March 26, 2016 at 12:16 am

Regarding the “mount” command, I am on Arch Linux, and I have no directory ‘/dev/block/mtdblock0. Can you advise what I should type in that place? The contents of my /dev/block directory are “11:0 8:0 8:1 8:16 8:2 8:3 8:32 8:4 8:48 8:64”